Forever Chic Style - 71st Golden Globes - Fashion Overview
The 71st Golden Globe soiree was held on Sunday, January 12, 2014 with the infamous Tina Fey and Amy Poehler at the helm to toast and roast the star studded affair. And, they did it again!!! The audience roared with laughter, while these two fashionistas rocked on the stage with witty banter and antics. Unlike previous years, this particular affair was graced with the presence of a multitude of famous A listers Hollywood actors and actresses such as Robert Redford, Jon Voight, Jacqueline Bisset, Bruce Dern, Michael Douglas, Johnny Depp, Meryl Streep, Jessica Lange, Helen Mirren, Emma Thompson, Leonardo Decaprio and many more. All were dressed to the nines and ready for the elegant and wildly fun event to start. Prior to the sit down gala with cocktails and food, the fashion conscious from the movie and television industry arrived in limousines and posed before the paparazzi and spoke to the appropriate television show hosts. The sun came out after a down pour or rather a sewage pipe that broke on the red carpet midday before the arrival of the star studded Hollywood elite. With the sunshine came a prism of glorious colors in reds, turquoise, corals, blues along with whites and blacks in form fitting silhouettes with deep v-necks, styled hair and minimal jewels. The screen sirens gingerly walked down the magical carpet with heads held high in a rainbow array of hues. Of course, there were several adorned in rather interesting and not flattering attire. Just who bedazzled and who made a few tragic fashion bombs? Who were the Ladies in Waiting, The Queen of the Evening and The Frumpy Frog?
Camera, Lights & Action! Rainbow of Fashion!
Forever Chic Style - The Ladies in Waiting
Top of the Forever Chic Style List though not Queen!
7. Oh So Pregnant and Gorgeous - Kerry Washington: Washington stepped out in a sensational white Balenciaga gown, which enhanced her pregnant silhouette. She glowed on the red carpet and outshined fellow pregnant actresses Olivia Wilde and Drew Barrymore.
6. The Real Mrs. Donovan - Silver Perfection - Naomi Watts: Watts lit up the red carpet in a high voltage silhouette defining silver gown by Tom Ford. The halter dress and blunt cut blond hair with understated makeup and gold accessories were regal and eye catching. An example of less is best.
5. Modern Yet So Scarlett O'- Sofia Vergara: Vergara understands fashion and once again is a stylish traffic stopping maven in a Zac Posen sweetheart bodice black gown. The full skirt, she referred to as a tent, is balanced fittingly with a heavy turquoise 60's daisy necklace. Back to her natural honey blond hair with red lips added a final touch that screamed drama. A nice surprise instead of the usual fishtail concoction.
4. Wolf or Rather a Fox - Margot Robbie: Margot Robbie, Wolf of Wall Street, was dipped in a white fitted Gucci plunging v-neck gown with green sparkling beading and thigh high slit. The effect was polished, playful and so exceptionally gorgeous that one couldn't help but conjure up the image of Belfort's wife in the Wolf of Wall Street. The hair, simple makeup and decadent emerald green shoes were spotlight riveting.
3. Black Jasmine - Cate Blanchett: This Valentino high neck lace black number radiated on the talented and breathtaking Blanchett. The red lips and flawless makeup was divine though the hair was a bit strange being pinned under. Blanchett is a true lady opposite of her broken and sad character in Blue Jasmine, for which she won the Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Drama. Well deserved! Here's to you Cate!
2. The Lady Sydney Prosser in the Flesh - Amy Adams: Adams evoked her character, Lady Sydney Prosser, from American Hustle in this exquisite Valentino maroon plunging V-neck with true red flowing skirt and drop necklace. The effect was smashing and brilliantly played. The hair updo, minimal makeup, stunning matching cape combined with the dress was fresh, floaty and feminine. And, more importantly, the Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Comedy was well deserved!
1. The Spotlight Stealing Beauty - Lupita Nyong'o: Stop the press! When Nyong'o glided down the red carpet, camera's flashed and people stared in awe. The Ralph Lauren off the shoulder gown in red tomato with an attached cape was absolutely ravishing. The dress was similar to Gwyneth Paltrow's white Tom Ford ensemble from the Academy Awards 2012. The smile, makeup, hair and completed the look on this stunningly beautiful young woman who played Patsy in 12 years a Slave. And, if looks, acting chops and exquisite apparel were not enough, Nyong'o is extremely eloquent and a recent graduate of Yale University. Now, that is truly impressive! All hail this accomplished young lady.
Forever Chic Style - The Queen of the Evening
Effortlessly confident, smart, sophisticated elegance, poise and manners
And, the award goes too....
The Queen of the Golden Globes 2014 - Jessica Chastain: This Zero Dark Thirty, Golden Globe Best Actress in a Drama 2013, strolled down the red carpet in 2014 capturing everyone's attention. Chastain is beloved by the fashion world because of her curves, glorious red hair and silky complexion. Last year, at the Golden Globes her dress was a mishap and this year she went for gold. She did not disappoint in a simple black textured Givenchy gown with a sweetheart neckline. The ravishing red hair was swept back combined with a well appointed Bulgari necklace, red nails and red lips created a movie star. Yes, color was ever present, yet a figure hugging black gown always makes a statement. Chastain, an accomplished actress, has a strong presence and was the Queen of the evening. All hail the Queen!
Frumpy Frog Stepsisters
3. The Maid's Uniform - Julia Roberts: Roberts wore a black Dolce & Gabbana gown with a white blouse underneath or so it seemed. The combination reminded one of a pinafore that a maid would wear on Downton Abbey. Pour me some tea please!
2. The Ruffles Attack - Paula Patton: This Stephane Rolland concoction was lopsided with the huge ruffle down one side. Patton looked stunning in white with a bob haircut and white jewelry. Sadly, the ruffle was a peacock distraction.
1. The Broomstick - Jennifer Lawrence (American Hustle): The white off the shoulder Christian Dior frock with black bands at the waist and below the derriere was not flattering on this extraordinary Golden Globe Best Supporting Actress winner. Lawrence's pixie hair cut and make up was beautiful. However, everything else from jewelry to the strategically placed black belts is a major disaster though overall she a social media sensation. Every bad press apparently is good press! Hopefully, for the Oscars, Ms. Lawrence will really take a moment and step up her fashion game. Enough off the shoulder garments. This young beauty who dazzles on screen can also be adorned in something spectacular.
Forever Chic Style - The Frumpy Frog
And, the award goes too....
The Disco Tablecloth - Sandra Bullock (Gravity): The Prabel Gurung gown was a complete debacle though the satin pink v-neck was pretty against Bullock's skin and combined with her makeup. However, the wrinkled dipped sky blue at the hemline seemed out of place or rather out in orbit. Perhaps if the blue had been the same pink as the bodice and the hem was floor sweeping then the ensemble would have landed firmly down on planet Earth. Overall, the combination of pink, black and blue was a mishit. Let's hope at the Oscars, Bullock, will pull out all stops and steer herself back into being a stunning diva on the red carpet.
Remember Forever Chic Style beauty always starts from within. Even if some missed the fashion mark - it is their smiles, their laughter and their poise that was noticed and admired.
"The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It’s the caring that she lovingly gives, the passion that she shows & the beauty of a woman only grows with passing years."
— Audrey Hepburn
Yours Truly - Kim Hardwick - Forever Chic Style